This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

changing INSTALLDIR from previous installation

2 replies to this topic

saybo

saybo
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 19:37

I've asked this question in the InstallShield forums, but I wanted to see if I might find a broader audience here. So my apologies to those of you who may have already read this...

We need to change the location of our INSTALLDIR from our last release, but I can't get it to work.

I've changed the Package Code, Product Code & Version (from 2.003.100.000 to 3.000.001.000) and left the Upgrade Code the same. I've got my upgrade rules set for Major Upgrades to completely uninstall the old setup before installing the new setup.

I then have a Set Directory Custom Action to change the INSTALLDIR after "RemoveExistingProducts". (This is to verify the uninstall problem isn't caused by the msi needing the old INSTALLDIR associated with the old files)

During the build, the upgrade validation says it will perform a Major Upgrade on my previous setup that I reference.

What happens when I run the upgrade is my old install is left in the old location, and my new install is in the new location. I even get 2 entries in Add/Remove Programs. (& yes, uninstalling from Add/Remove programs does remove the old one)

What am I missing? I know I can add every file of the previous setup to RemoveFiles, but that doesn't seem right.

---saybo

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 22:18

I don't think that changing the INSTALLDIR is causing your problem (did you test without that custom action?). I think there's some other problem with your major upgrade. Please generate a log file and look at the result of FindRelatedProducts and RemoveExistingProducts action. Also make sure in your upgrade settings that Only Remove Specifioed Features is blank.

saybo

saybo
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 18:23

Got it.

I was using InstallShield's "Automatic Upgrade Item" which creates the upgrade table entry on build (which has worked well in the past for me). I converted that over to a static Major Upgrade Item and broadened the Version range beyond my actual maximum version. I'm guessing the Automatic Upgrade Item was looking at a slightly older version of my previous .msi than I thought, or somehow not laying down the maximum version to be included in the upgrade. Either way, static upgrade item is the way to go...

After that it worked as expected, both with changing the INSTALLDIR upfront or with changing the INSTALLDIR in a Custom Action after the RemoveExistingProducts.