This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating new directory through InstallChangeFolder

1 reply to this topic

wellwisher

wellwisher
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:44

InstallChange Folder is a standard dialog in IS. It is generally used for selecting a location where an application is to be installed. This dialog gets invoked when the user clicks the button for changing the location of installation.
The similar kind of functioanlly is to be done in my project. Here I'm tring to set a path either by browing to something already existing in the file system. Oe else if the user does not want to select the existing path he can choose to create a new directory and set the path to this newly created directory. Note that the InstallChangeFolder has the funcitonally to create a new directory. I know this as it has the icon to create the new directory. Thisu when the user creates a new directory the same should be selected as the value of the edit box meant to hold the value after the InstallChangeFolder has been accepted with the press of Ok button. Please let me know how to implement the same.

Also when I use the usual technique, I need to set the edit box to some existing value. I do it by assigning the edit box property to something in the Property Manager. Thus when the installer is run it comes with some initial value. Now if the user clicks browse he gets the browse dialog to enter the values. It works fine but when a new directory icon is clicked and the browse dialog is ok'd it is seen that the new directory does not get created. Is there any other think like putting a custom action to create this new directory.

rajib

rajib
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 13:13

Hi WellWisher,

Although your post is a large one, but i guess your focusing point is: "Whether it is needed to insert any custom action to create a new directory during DESTINATION DIRECTORY dialog".

The simple answer is NO, but there is some-points i want to share with you:

First of all, i hope your question is about IS11 /IS12 or IS2008 and obviously BASIC MSI.

If u create a new project, build it, and run, u will get error while changing directory or creating a new directory.

To avoid it u need to focus the following things:

1. Have u inserted any custom action? if so check whether it is placed at the right sequence.

2. Is the INSTALLDIR set to the directory you want (Default install location).

3. Does your project contains any file to transfer? although this is not logical, but i got such errors while changing directory . Then i attached some files to FILES AND FOLDERS and it was resolved.

and obviously from PROJECT ASSISTANT tab, at INSTALLATION INTERVIEW u need to select YES radio button which says to PERMIT THE USERS TO CHANGE INSTALLATION LOCATION.

I think, if all those things are OK, the InstallChangeFolder should work correctly. But yes, IS sometimes behaves weirdly ...take care

-Rajib