This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Create Patch Error - Package code must changed

5 replies to this topic

Barvaz

Barvaz
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:25

Hi

I am working with Basic Msi 2012, investigating its patch support.

I have created a simple basic msi project naming "MainSetup.msi" for this includes 3 different files and ran it fine.

Following are the information of the main setup file from General Information:

• Product Version: 9.1
• Product Code: {83316EE2-7431-4D60-909E-F78FA1EE6596}
• Upgrade Code: {9E73E6CA-717D-436C-BE70-D7EAA9B696F1}
• Package Code: {2FC1B68B-648E-431C-85DC-3ADF7477F010}

To test the patch feature I updated one of the file within my test app and only increased the version number within the assembly info to 9.1.1 (I Didn't changed any codes in the General Information as it appears above)

I have tried to create a patch which will replace this one file.

In the patch Design I link the previous setup path to my "MainSetup.msi" file.

I didn't point the Latest setup Path to anything, because this Is my first patch and I don't have one…..Probably here it's my fault but I don't understand exactly what….

Every time I try and build the patch I get the following error;

"The package code for the latest setup does not differ from that of the previous version. In order to perform an upgrade, the package code MUST change."

What am I missing? Is there some place else to set the package code?

My understanding is that patches can be contained within the same basic msi project as the main install. Is this correct?

Regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:37

A patch is the difference between two msi files (new and old). So you need to build your new version release msi, then you can generater a patch by specifying the new msi as "latest".

Barvaz

Barvaz
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:42

Thanks Stefan - i just finished to review this movie MSI - How to Create a Standard Patch (Example 1) - InstallShield 2011 and it's help me a lot.

Barvaz

Barvaz
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 13:10

Hi Stefan,

I've one more question please - How can I create a dependencies between .msp files?
The product version of my main setup is 9.1 (released to customer) – I need to create for example 3 patches: 9.1.1, 9.1.2 and 9.1.3
I want to create dependencies between them so if 9.1.3 is already installed, the system will prevent installation of 9.1.1 and 9.1.2.

BTW – Windows Installer 4.5 for windows is installed by the main setup (if it's relevant).

Please advice,
Thanks

Barvaz

Barvaz
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 14:03

Hi,

Anyone can help with the above question.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14

When creating the patch, you can specify to which version it applies.