This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

changing target dir during install fails

3 replies to this topic

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:06

Anyone seen problems with InstallShield 10 sp1, when running the install and changing the destination dir with the browse button, and then continuing, the feature is not actaully installed anywhere.

Specifically, we have a smart device feature that installs a product onto a pocket PC. It all works great until you change the destination dir. If set the dir to something like C:\testdir and continue, the PPC cab files are not placed on the desktop machine anywhere (which is what the destination dir is for during setup), and the product is not installed onto the PPC. Normally the destination dir is [CSSERVICESDIR]OurProductName.

Also, is there a way to turn off the ability to change the destination dir? Disable the browse button? This would fix the problem also.

I've search high and low and cannot find any articles or such on this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

---JHG

ali

ali
  • Full Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:02

can you create a log file on the PPC to check the value from the Property CSSERVICESDIR?

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 21:15

Ran setup and logging switches set to farmviewcup and the data from the log file was very un helpful. The following is the only data for CESERVICESDIR

AppSearch: Property: CESERVICESDIR, Signature: _CESERVICESDIR

What's a mistery to me is why there isn't more info in the log file? Usually they are packed with tons of useless stuff, but this one was kinda small.

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 22:20

Ok, did some more testing. I ran the IS MSI debugger and watch the properites get updated, and all looks ok, but nothing is actually getting installed. Also I am now getting a regular MSI logging file. The below is the value from the log file for the install dir for this feature.

Property(S): CARAVEL_CESERVDIR = C:\test\

PS. also, once the setup has finishing running in debug mode, IS dev hangs and I have to shut it down by force (ie task manager) and restart it. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
---JHG