This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Command line for small updates vs. major upgrades

1 reply to this topic

dalchri@hotmail.com

dalchri@hotmail.com
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 22:07

When I apply a small update (no change in product code), I use the following command line options and I get a progress window while the update applies:

msiexec.exe /p "myupdate.msp" /qb REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus

I use the /qb because I want progress and status displayed w/o decisions required from the user.
I use REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus cause that's what it says to do in the WI SDK.

However, when I apply a major upgrade (change in product code), I get no results, nothing happens, no screens. Does anyone know what the command line options are to apply a major upgrade in the form of a patch file such that you get status and progress without decisions required? The WI SDK does not have an example or at least it leaves me thinking that the options I use should work for both small updates and major upgrades.

Also, is there a set of options that work for both small updates and major upgrades or do I need to know the difference between the two when I apply the patch?

I noticed that the installer asks for the install path during a major upgrade again with the Full UI exposed if that tickles any ideas...

Thanks for suggestions!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 22:17

You shouldn't use REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL in a major upgrade.

You setup may experience an error (e.g. because it doesn't find the old msi file). With UI it would display a dialog. In basic or silent mode it will exit, posting an error code to the event log and to the installer log (if you have logging enabled)