This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Rollback CA is not executed

6 replies to this topic

the_force

the_force
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:31

Hi,

I have a problem with the execution of some custom action and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a custom action that only must execute when uninstalling my applicattion. I use for this action the condition REMOVE="ALL". And it works fine, being executed correctly.

For this custom action, I have wrote a rollback CA. It is sequence just before the CA and has the same condition REMOVE="ALL". This custom action manages the situation of an install/uninstall cancellation.

When I cancel an upgrade installation, both CA and rollback are executed fine, but when I install my application normally, and cancel the installer during an uninstallation, only the CA is executed. The rollback is not called.

I don't know what to do, so, if anyone can help me I will be thankful.

Thank you.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:57

If you are conditioning your rollback custom action with REMOVE=ALL then this will not be set when you are installing a fresh install.

I am not %100 sure, but i dont think that the rollback custom action needs to be conditioned does it? If it was rollback attributes set, then it should only be executed during the rollback anyway. You should test this.

the_force

the_force
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:42

Thanks for your reply, luke_s.

I have tried to eliminate my rollback CA conditions and that don't solve the problem.

When my rollback action has no condition set, it is executed (as expected) when I cancel a fresh installation. That's OK. The problem comes when I cancel an uninstallation process. I mean, I have my application correctly installed, I tried to uninstall it, and cancel the uninstallation before it finish. If I do that, my rollback action is not executed.

I don't know how it is possible if my rollback action has no conditions. So, I still need help. Anyone knows what is happening??

Thank you very much.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 23:31

Are u %100 sure that your custom action is not being executed during the uninstall?
Maybe run the install with log mode and this might tell you why the action is not being executed.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 15:23

This might be completely besides the point, but sometimes I have experienced that Installscript custom actions won't run at certain times because the installscript engine is not running (often happens when you insert actions in the final user interface dialog). The only solution I found to this was to use VB script instead of Installscript.

I don't understand why the rollback action would be run when you cancel a fresh install, but I assume this will change the install into uninstall mode and hence the condition REMOVE='ALL' will be valid.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

catrill

catrill
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 17:29

This is another manifestation of the problem described in this thread:
->Rollback CA from DLL doen't work if UI is basic...

It's an MSI bug (version 2.0). When you uninstall an application, the install runs in basic UI mode. If in basic UI mode and press cancel, your rollback custom actions don't run. If the uninstall fails for another reason, your rollback CAs do run. I worked round it by disabling cancel button after InstallInitialize.

KapilMarwah

KapilMarwah
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 15:23

What's the type of your custom action