This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need help with silent installs of redists

3 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 21:16

I have 3 installs i need to make silent.

adobe acrobat reader
doxygen
graphviz

right now im poping up message boxes asking them if they want to install, then warning them to not reboot if it asks.

I would like to avoid this all together.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 12:50

You just asked this same question in the following post.

In any case, I'll suggest you look at the help topics regarding silent installations and go from there.  It's fairly straightforward and you can come back with any specific problems you might encounter.
user posted image

Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 22:30

RTFM isnt really what i was looking for.

I was looking for somone who can tell me how they went about making a .exe self extracting.

Ive have been unsuccessful at getting installshield to do it.
I may be doing somthing wrong.

So if anyone has done this, can you just add a quick bulleted list to where you found the info and how you did it.

Thanks.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 01:45

Okay, but now you're asking a totally different question!  You would have been better off posting a new topic to do this.

In any case, here are some answers.

For the silent installations, there are basically two steps.  The first is to create a response file.  To do so, run one of the setups on its own, but with a -r switch.  Then run through the install wizard, answering the questions accordingly.  Once that's all done and you've exited the setup, do a seach on the hard drive for a setup.iss file.  Although it should be in the Windows folder.  Once you've found it place it along side of the previously run setup file.  Now, if you run that install with a -s switch it will make use of it that file and consequently hide any user interaction.

The catch to all this is that if the installed is packaged as a single executable, you're best off extracting it and use the raw files.  Otherwise you have to use some additional switches to do this stuff.

Now, for the single executable install, I normally use PackageForTheWebWizard and I'm sure you don't want me to refer you the step by step help topic, so I'll let someone else answer that question.
user posted image