This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

The truth about Patching

1 reply to this topic

mike vukicevich

mike vukicevich
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 18:36

Well I am starting to patch and I have noticed some very interesting things. I have successfully created and deployed many patches.  ISWI 1.5 patch wizard, using full file replacement, and using Update.exe.

I would like to open a discussion on the topics below.

For starters, MSI patching does NOT behave according to the documentation. For example the MSI document states that the patch modifies the original database.  My original local databases are left untouched.  The patch adds the local .msp and some registry entries. Repair, modify, and reinstall all work at re-applying the patches. Remove removes all patches as well. Runtime resource resiliency works too.

Next, I have successfully removed a patch. MSI states that this cannot be done. Since the above is true, removing a patch requires removing the patch entries in the registry, removing the local .msp, delete the patched files, reboot, and run a repair. This works wonderfully if your patches are setup correct.

I could go on for pages.

Our last release generated about 80 patches. We did not use MSI patching during the last release. Any comments from developers patching on this scale would be appreciated.

Mike V.

yiye34

yiye34
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 22:10

I find not able to uninstall patch a big limitation. Mike, is your script complicated? Would you care to educate us on what your findings are on this subject? Have you been able to manage cumulative patches? Thanks,