This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files for CA

2 replies to this topic

Theresa Perez

Theresa Perez
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2001 - 13:58

Hi,
I want to use an EXE in my installer. Problem is, the EXE uses several DLLs and some INI files and those files are Language and OS dependent. I used to use IS PRO and this seems to be no problem since the Setup Files takes care of these files that are used exclusively by the IS program before transfer of files.
But now, since I cannot see any trace of Setup Files in IS PRO-WIS Ed, I opt to use a CA instead. Problem is I dont know how can I link my EXE (and all its dependecies!) and use it in my CA? I was thinking to just access a separate directory in the setup and then when I build the release, I will have to manually copy that directory so that when I run my setup it can find the said EXE. But its not so nice, eh? I do hope that you can give me ideas on how can I implement this.

Thanks in advance!

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 19:13

I can think of two possible approaches, but I've not yet had the time to test them, so these are merely concepts.  Also, I don't use IS, so I don't know how this would play out in that interface.

The first option might be to used nested installs and sequence them so that you have the EXE installed and registered, along with dependencies, when you initiate the second package.

The other option is to make two MSI packages and install the first one ... then launch the second one by running a CA hooked to the Final control on the last dialog of the first install.

Also, come to think of it, you could generate a small wrapper that will launch each of the MSI packages in turn.  If the setup options selected in the first package will change the way the second package runs, then you can add the details to property settings in the command line call for the second package, or you can pass the details to the second install through registry settings.

Hope the suggestions help.