This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing DirectX 8.1 via a custom action

2 replies to this topic

iank

iank
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 18:00

Hi all

I'm trying to launch the DirectX 8.1 setup via a custom action, which I am using MsiDoAction to launch (not sure so far that this is the best way to do this).  It seems to work OK except that if the user chooses 'NO' in the initial DirectX install dialog (i.e not to install), I get an error message.  I checked the error code and it appears to be a fatal error (1603). Clearly I'm doing something wrong.  If I run the DirectX set up independently it's fine (as you might expect).  

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 12:13

Make the custom action to ignore the return code. Windows Installer accepts only some pre definied values as result from an exe launched in a custom action, everything else will be treated as fatal error.

iank

iank
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 10:48

Thanks for the help.  I solved this through creating a seperate application that installs directx 8.1 and then launching that.  I've created another issue though. I now have a console window appearing that I'd like to get rid of. Ho hum.

Ian