This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstallation causes product repair

4 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:09

I have created my product setup. Say version 1.1.0. I created patch and applied over this product. I have cchanged msi and hence product name in patch to diffeent than original product name.

I can separately uninstall both product and patch when installation source from whoch both installedis available ( DVD in case of main product and MSP for patch)

But if i delete both the installation sources, while uninstalling patch installer asks for original product MSI. After supplying patch uninstallation is successfull.

When i try to uninstall main product with patch installed and installation source not available the installer simply repairs the product.

Does this problem occuring becuase i have changed product name in patch ?
Why installer is not able to find out the source from installer cache ?

Thanks in advance.

Amarjeet

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 20:13

I guess you are talking about a Minor Update packaged as patch (which is the typical case), not about a Major Upgrade patch. In this case, you must not change the name of the msi file, see http://msdn.microsof...0(v=VS.85).aspx
The product code must be changed if any of the following are true for the update: [...] The name of the .msi file has been changed.

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:18

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2010-05-27 20:13)
I guess you are talking about a Minor Update packaged as patch (which is the typical case), not about a Major Upgrade patch. In this case, you must not change the name of the msi file, see http://msdn.microsof...0(v=VS.85).aspx
The product code must be changed if any of the following are true for the update: [...] The name of the .msi file has been changed.

Finally i was able to fix the problem. Change in product name was not the problem. I have written an custom action which executes during patch uninstall.

Custom actions during patch unintalled are only supported installer version 4 and above. On XP installer version is 3.0.

So this custom action was getting executed in XP and c ausing trouble. After disabling the action for XP my problem got solved.

On Windows 7 and Vista i did not faced this kind of repair problem.

Amarjeet

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 14:46

What Stefan says is correct. Even though your problem has been resolved,you might want to crosscheck to see all is well and you have not violated any of the windows installer upgrade rules.

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:19

Exactly what stefan says is correct. Before creating patches we need to finalize the things like, what type of upgradation and rules to follow up creating upgrades.

I presume that ur expecting major upgrade. For a major upgrade, we need to change the product verion, product name and even the package name also