This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Newbie question

2 replies to this topic

mugglemaster

mugglemaster
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 16:00

Hi

we want to provide a msi and a msm file for installing our legacy (parport) and pnp-drivers (usb/pcmcia).
Currently we do this with calling some functions in our installation dll in a simple WISE setup (not using MSI). The dll is doing copying of files (vxd/sys/dll), registry keys, calling SetupAPI and starting services.

I found out now that for calling such a DLL function in MSI I need to use CustomActions(CA) and thus can not only use the Visual Studio Installer but need to buy an additional product like WISE for Windows Installer or InstallShield Developer 8. Before spending the money I would like to know if we can meet our customers needs by proceeding like this:

1) Is MSI in general suited for making driver installations, especially if legacy drivers are installed.

2) How does uninstall/refenence count work for drivers installed by an external application - note we install drivers and a dll! I read something about SharedLegacyFiles?

3) Can a setup like this get the Windows 2000 Logo verification

Thanks in advance for your advice

Alex

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 15:08

in the past ( read win 3.1 ) hardware installs were typically performed by using device driver information files ( .inf ).  this has been expanded upon in the Win2K/WinXP world to provide for software installs as well ( as evidenced by the Internet Explorer team's effort ).  

these .inf files are used by the Windows Setup engine and are typically installed by calling the RunDLL32 using the SetupAPI.DLL.

as to the suitability of msi for performing these same actions i haven't been able to replicate the functionality provided by these .inf files, yet....

mugglemaster

mugglemaster
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 17:34

AFAIK you can do driver installations with MSI, because you simply copy the driver files to the correct directory and the *.inf file to the inf-directory.
But our problem is, that we provide a legacy driver, not having any inf-file. Such it is a driver that can not pass HCT and get a signature by M$.

So how can you install applications, that require legacy drivers and  incorporate the setup for these drivers in the MSI and still get the 'Designed for WIndows XP' logo.

I am afraid not, but I would like to make sure ...

Alex