This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SID Lookup Merge Module

3 replies to this topic

ktrout75

ktrout75
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 19:56

Hi forum:

I am a new IS 2009 Professional user. Over the last 2-3 months I've learned the very basics and have created installers for my company's new product which is now in public beta. Several international clients have downloaded an installer only to find that the folder and file permissions I specified are incompatible with their non-English Windows operating systems.

Backing up a little, the installers (32 and 64 bit) run on XP, 2K3, Vista and 2K8 and assign permissions on certain items to ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE, depending on the operating system of the target machine. In order to apply permissions to the appropriate web user, I created two set-property custom actions both with the Property Name SERVICEUSER, one with a Property Value ASPNET and the other with a Property Value NETWORK SERVICE. When I need to apply permissions, therefore, I enter [SERVICEUSER] as User and rely on the custom action conditions to specify the appropriate value at install. I also bestow generic all permissions upon Users and Administrators wherever SERVICEUSER permissions are applied.

In order to solve my language issue, I would like to incorporate the merge module available here at:
http://www.installsi...s.htm#SIDLookup

I understand that this merge module comes with a custom action that will retrieve well-known SIDs for use in the Lock Permissions table but I have one small problem. This will be my first time incorporating a merge module and I have no clue what to do with this thing. I have downloaded/unzipped it and browsed to add it to the list in the Prerequisites view.

What do I do next? Will it be sufficient to select the merge module from the list and check the features in which permissions are explicitly specified? I assume there is more to it than that.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rob

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 15:43

To add the merge module to your msi project you can associate it to any feature - which one doesn't really matter. You could add it to your root feature.
This should automatically create a couple of properties at runtime that represent the accounts.
Use these properties in your permission settings.

ktrout75

ktrout75
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 17:16

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, I don't think this merge module will suit my purposes 'out of the box.' Checking the *.html file included with the MM (attached), there is no value for the NETWORK SERVICE account. I tested using SID_NETWORK and SID_SERVICE. I also tested using the raw SID values. All to no avail.
Is it possible to modify the code behind the merge module to include a SID_NETWORK_SERVICE property? I'm not a programmer, but can probably get the help I need if this will be a pretty straightforward task.

Thanks again!
Rob

Attached Files

ktrout75

ktrout75
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 19:06

Ok, so I found an alternate solution to the NETWORK SERVICE problem.
According to the forum post at http://kb.acresso.co...t... 0 35512705, entering Networkservice instead of NETWORK SERVICE will lead to proper translation of the account name. Please let me know if this is incorrect as I have no way of testing on a non-english OS.

To summarize the lock-permissions table values required in our project for international compatibility:
Administrators: Needs no translation, enter as Administrators
ASP .Net: Needs no translation, enter as ASPNET
NETWORK SERVICE: Enter as Networkservice
Users: Apply SID-lookup merge module and enter as [SID_BUILTIN_USERS]