This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Build patch from commandline

4 replies to this topic

ramu

ramu
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:45

Can some body please tell me if all its possible to build a patch from commandline.. will ISCmdBld.exe will help or if there is any way around to build a patch from commandline??

and alos is it necessary to have the relese un-compressed to create a patch.??

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:19

I use WiX to make my installs. WiX installs and patches can all be run from commandline... I don't think you need a WiX package to use WiX patching though. You need to run candle and light on your source packages and then run Msimsp.exe through commandline to compare them and create your MSP file that you can wrap up into a downloadable EXE for end users to use.

Plenty more info on http://wix.sourceforge.net/

It's one of those things that once the command ines are written anyone can just press the button... it's a great method.

Cheers,
Gareth

ramu

ramu
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:02

Thanks a lot Gareth for kind reply
I went through the document about wix and i am really impressed.

I am having few concerns..

I need to use wix since there is no (seems) option to build patch from commandlin in installshield. Now while creating wix how to mention path of the binaries which i want to be included in the patch. As we include the path for the binaries in path variable how to mention path for the binaries in wix (xml) file. Need i presume that all the binaries will be in the same path as that of wix file. Then i have trouble !! Because the bianries are located in different drives and different folders (as obious) in the build machine. The only work around is to copy these binaries to location where my wix(xml)file is.

or if it possible to mention the path varible or mention the path of the binaries to be included while creating patch in wix file.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 22:02

I really never tried to build a patch from command line using InstallShield. But a patch essentially is a diff between two msi files. So you could create the new version .msi and use Msimsp.exe to generate the .msp. I believe that InstallShield basically creates the .pcp file (which you could pick up from the project directory) and calls Msimsp.exe.

roso67

roso67
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 16:51

I am using INstallShield 12.

Here is the reply I rceived from InstallShield regarding this. I ended up using the Visual Studio plugin and created a VS Solution file for my patch. I then was able to build the patch as a VS project.

"I believe that it is not not possible to build a patch via either the standalone build or the automation interface ( from command line). This is documented here:

http://helpnet.insta...N/...oject.htm"

Edited by roso67, 06 April 2007 - 16:52.