This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade Custom Actions

4 replies to this topic

Arcangel_666

Arcangel_666
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 21:59

Hello everyone,

I tried to find this in a previous post, but without any success...

Basically my question is this...

If I need to include a Custom Action during a Major or Minor Upgrade (and only run during this scenerio), where in the sequence would I put it?

Also, when doing an Upgrade, can I expect that all of the Custom Actions will be re-run or will it skip things like the Dialog boxes since the information has already been gathered?

Any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

p.s. If there are any books/resources that deal specifically with "Custom" upgrading using MSI technology... that would be a huge plus...

Nick Marcogliese
NSB Retailing Group

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 21:46

You can put your custom action whereever necessary.
During a major upgrade, the old version that is being removed runs in silent mode, so only the InstallExecute sequence will be processed. For the new version all dialogs will be displayed, unless you change this using conditions.

Arcangel_666

Arcangel_666
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 14:29

Thanks for the responce...

I know this is in the wrong section, but would this apply for InstallScript MSI as well? Meaning that all the InstallScript actions will be run as well?

Thanks again

Nick

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:23

I think that InstallSript calls some special events during an upgrade. Note that Major Upgrades don't seem to work reliably for InstallScript MSI projects.

Arcangel_666

Arcangel_666
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 18:08

Thanks again...

Unfortunately, most of the projects we have are in Installscript MSI... I will have to figure out what is the best way to handle these...

I will post any findings...

Nick