This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Standalone Builds and IS 2010

3 replies to this topic

MickeyF

MickeyF
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 21:04

We'vebeen using InstallShield 2008 since shortly after it came out. Although Standalone Build was only included in the Premier version of IS 2008, because we had had a support contract, etc., for our Professional version, we were grandfathered into getting Standalone Build for IS 2008 included. Now we are looking at upgrading to IS 2010, mainly only because we want to stay current and not lag behind. (We still have some of our products that use InstallShield 5.5 (!) because moving to any new version, even back in the 6 or 7 timeframe, required significant work to make the change, and the cost wasn't justified.)

On to my question: If we purchase only IS 2010 Professional and not IS 2010 Premier, could we save our project files (.ism) in version 14 (IS 2008) format, and then use the Standalone Build from IS 2008 to build our projects? I know that there are some things that are new to 2009 or 2010 that we couldn't use if we did that (although I'm not sure exactly what they are), but if we avoided those things, would it work?

The reason why we are investigating doing this is that the cost between Premier and Professional is substantial, and as far as I've been able to determine, the ONLY thing we need out of Premier is Standalone Build. It's absurd that the only way we can get Standalone Build is by purchasing the entire Premier product.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:56

No, the option to "save as" in the project file format of a previous version no longer exists in InstallShield 2010. I don't know if there's a way to "hack" the projct file to make it loadable in IS 2008 or to use it with the SAB, but as far as I know there's no official way.

MickeyF

MickeyF
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 16:49

Thanks for the reply, Stefan. I've now since learned that the Save As (in IS 2010) isn't supported to old releases, like it was in IS 2008 (which I have now). I guess they figured out that it was a way to prevent users from doing exactly what I planned to do - use Standalone Build from a back release, so I didn't have to buy Premier now. I found it very frustrating that Standalone Build, which we need for our automated build machines, is the only feature within Premier that we really need, yet we have to pay $1500 more this year and $750 more every subsequent year just to get SAB, when it used to be included along with Professional a few years ago.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 16:35

I imagine it can also become a compatibility nightmare if you want to automatically down-grade the project to various previous versions.

And I understand your frustration about the removal of SAB from the Professional edition. There were several complaints and discussions in the time when this happended. Unfortunately it didn't change their mind.