This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launching an EXE which requires a new PATH entry

2 replies to this topic

erniev

erniev
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 00:58

During installation, I need to launch various executables and make calls into a setup dll and the problem I'm having is that many of these applications rely on files that are in another directory.  If this other directory is not in the PATH environment setting then they fail to launch.

I have set the the Environment Table to this:
MIP51PathSuffix,*=-PATH,[~];[INSTALLDIR]lib,MIPRoot
Which does update the PATH *after* the installation has taken place.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is a way to set the INSTALL to include this path appendage while it's doing the install, because right now it will only be successful if I manually pre-set the path before I start the installation.

em_elle

em_elle
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 15:58

How about a custom action that happens before the launch of the other .exe's?  You can use vbs to populate the path prior.  Is that an ok resolution for you?
-Mary McGough

erniev

erniev
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 20:52

Thanks for your reply Mary, but my problems are now beginning to surface in a much more widespread way.

Our product installs NT services which also rely on the directory that I'm trying to append to the PATH.  So even if I get each application to run during the install, the services blow up trying to start after the install completes because they cannot yet see that directory either.  I can see this because the error message says, "The dynamic link library 'somefile.dll' could not be found in the specified path: <my old path>.

It appears that I may be left with only two (undesirable) options:
1) Force a reboot
2) Throw the files into the \SYSTEM32 directory instead of our own \LIB directory.

If anyone can add any information regarding my issue I would appreciate it.

Ernie

ps: I realize this is starting to drift off-topic... sorry!