This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VBA6.2 Redistribution.

2 replies to this topic

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 12:52

Hello,

I need to install VBA6.2 files with my application's install program. I am doing it by installing from Redistributable files method (Using vba6.msi) instead of using Merge Modules. I am calling this msi file using custom action at the end of my application's install process. Installation works fine.

The problem is, if user has Office installed on the PC before installing our application and he uninstalls Office afterwards, VBA also gets uninstalled. This causes repair of our application when user starts our application, which repairs by installing VBA again and everything works again fine.

But in principle this should not happen. VBA should not get uninstalled while uninstalling Office, as my application is using it.

What could be the reason ? Your views will be great help to me.

Thanks.,
Devang.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 15:18

Nasty, and not really your fault.

In fact as far as msi sees it your app has not installed VBA if Office has already.

1. Install Office with VBA product {guid VBA}
1.1 {guid VBA} not found install VBA.
2. Install DevangProduct with VBA product {guid VBA}
2.1 {guid VBA} found repaired/upgraded but not a new installation instance.
2.2 System has one copy of VBA product {guid VBA}
3 Remove Office with VBA product {guid VBA}
3.1 the only copy of VBA is removed.

But you can do something about this.  Even if it is slightly naughty.  Open VBA.msi witj ORCA. Goto the property table.  Select the properry 'ProductCode' and giive it a new Guid.  You may want to change the product name to VBA for Devang Product if it  is going  to appear in ARP.

I have never tried this so, perhaps

1. Install Office with VBA product {guid VBA}
1.1 {VBA} not found install VBA.
2. Install DevangProduct with VBA product {guid Devang}
2.1 {guid Devang} not found Install VBA for Devang
2.2 System has one copy of VBA product {guid VBA}
3 Remove Office with VBA product {guid VBA}
3.1 VBA for Devang remains.

Note although there are two copies of the VBA product   installed there is still only one copy of each file because the component guids are shared.

Try it at let us know if this works or not.

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 11:30

Hi Ian,

That works.....thanks a lot.

Devang.