This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Embedding a self-extracting exe

2 replies to this topic

shippy

shippy
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 20:48

I need to redistribute the J# Framework with my installer. It comes as a self-extracting exe from Microsoft. But I can also extract that on my own and it unpacks a setup.exe file, an .msi file, and .ini file, and a .cab file. Is there a way for me to either embed the self-extracting exe in my msi file or embed the J# msi, setup, and cab files in my installer? Of course I need to install the J# Framework during the installation of my application.

Thanks.

paracha3

paracha3
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 02:49

You can insert the exe or msi & cab into binary table of your msi. You can also directly insert them in _Streams table using the vbscipt that ships with MSI SDK.

Then you need to call a custom action that would stream those files from Binary/_Streams table into say temp folder on the target machine.

However the problem is that you can not launch an msi from an already running msi. One thing you can do is to write an exe, that would run your msi and then J# FrmWk msi, one after the other.

paracha3

digitalfootprint

digitalfootprint
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 21:43

We had a similar issue with deploying two apps that had serveral OS specific requirements. We created a single install that checked for these requirements and lauched seperate MSI's for each one.