This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SQL Scripts, Conditions and Schema Versions

7 replies to this topic

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 16:24

I'm seeing a specific problem with SQL script execution and would like to know if anyone else has ever encountered this.

I have an Basic MSI package that contains several SQL scripts to be executed based on specific properties being defined. The condition on the SQL script in question is:

CBE_SETUPTYPE~="M" And CBE_DBCREATED~="NO"

So if the above condition equates to TRUE, the script should be executed.

But, this script also has a Schema Version defined as 0001.00000.0705 in the General section.

When this package runs it determines correctly that the CBE_SETUPTYPE is 'M' and that the database is created, so CBE_DBCREATED="YES". Therefore I would expect the SQL script with the condition above not to execute. But it does...

Checking SQL I noticed that the InstallShield table had a version of 0001.00000.0701. So if my SQL script did not have the condition defined and went strictly by the Schema Version, I would expect the script to run.

So I guess my question is, what takes precedence? If a condition exists on a SQL script and there is also a Schema Version added to the General section, what get's honored? In my case it looks like even though the condition evaluated to FALSE, the Schema Version in the InstallShield table was lower, so MSI went ahead and executed the script.

Would this be the expected behavior?

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 16:14

I'm not sure how the schema check works, but I guess it takes place when the script starts (because a database connection is required for the check).

The condition however is created as a component (or feature?) condition, which means that is evaluated during CostFinalize. So your property needs to be set at this time, which is before the dialogs are displayed.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 16:27

Stefan,

These properties are set prior to the CostFinalize action. This does not happen on all systems.

Here's another question...

If the initial 2.0 installer was deployed onto a system and the condition on the SQL script in question was not correct (i.e. it would allow the script to be executed regardless) and then I change the condition for a patch, would the patch replace the 'bad' condition and use the new condition? Or is the 'bad' condition always used during a patch and the only way to fix this would be to uninstall the initial 2.0 package and install a 'fixed' version?

-Shawn

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:05

I need to dust this topic off and try and get some answers. I'm still running into problems with old SQL scripts running even though the Schema Versions are set.

First off: The 'dbo.Installshield' table?

Where should this table be created. I've seen it created under our product database and I've seen it created under the SQL master database. The one that gets created under our product database ends up with multiple versions listed in it. For example:

When a patch runs and the table exists in our product database, all the old SQL scripts run because the schema table can't be found. If the table exists in the master database, then the SQL scripts run fine.

How does MSI determine where to create this table? Our SQL server name is the computer name (CBEWRBO), our DB name is (cbewrdb) and I do not have any Catalog Name defined in the SQL Connection Panel. All our upgrade SQL scripts contain 'use cbewrdb' at the top. It appears to create the table in our database, but then looks at the master database to find the schema table.

Also, should there be multiple entries in the Installshield table or should it contain just 1 record of the last version applied?

The Installshield documentation/help is very minimal around the use of Schema Versions, so I hope the community can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:14

if these are just string values, you'll need to write a custom action to perform the numerical comparison
If I recall correctly, SQL script conditions are translated into component conditions (InstallSHield creates components for the scripts). A patch should update the condition, but the componentshould also be marked as trasitive ("reevaluate condition") to make this take effect.

How does MSI determine where to create this table?
This is all handled by custom actions that are included with InstallShield. I have no information about the inner working of these custom actions.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:28

Stefan,

Here we go again on this topic.

I have had fairly good success with the SQL scripts running the way they should, but now with our recent update, some sites are running the SQL scripts to upgrade the database and some sites are not. Looking at the log files for these 2 sites, the 2 update scripts on the sites that DID NOT WORK the component associated with the SQL scripts is marked as:

Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Absent

Where the ones that work are marked:

Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local

The conditions on these scripts have remained the same since the initial release of the product. The only thing I change isthe schema version value.

Question:

What would cause MSI to mark this script as ABSENT on one site and LOCAL on another when both sites have been upgraded the same way up until this latest upgrade?

-Shawn

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 17:39

The action is different from the request. Are there any SELMGR errors or messages in the log? What is the condition on these components?

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:33

Stefan,

Oops!!!

Going through and rechecking the condition, I noticed that one of the properties I was checking in the condition was not properly set.

When we release our product we generally send it to a couple of pilot sites. This was a pilot site and was a couple of builds behind the final release for the previous version.

This new release did not consider it a valid version to upgrade from and did not upgrade the database.

False alarm, but thanks for the reply Stefan. It made me recheck the properties.

-Shawn