This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Seeking Advice on installer approach...

5 replies to this topic

BriBri

BriBri
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 18:42

ME: I've got a WebApp to install. It is broken into 4 'features'. I'm a relative newbe seeking any input from experienced installer developers

1) Some JSP files (can go anywhere, but I need to edit an XML file in WebApp dir for Apache to point to where they decide to install to)
2) Some ASP files ( need to be put in a particular directory of another Web application that is already installed - I need to prompt user for that location)
3) Sample files ( not an issue - will go in c:\program files\company\product\samples\ directory)
4) Application files (need to prompt user for location they plan to use as the output directory for another Application)

The issue I see is that some features need to go to differnet user-defined paths.

Options(as I see them):

a) should I create a seperate installers for each feature requiring user defined install paths?

or

b)should I create an installscript project and add a bunch of custom screens and custom code to move everything to the right places?

Many thanks in advance,
-Brian

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:52

Its probably a lot easier to create a screen that allows the user to input the different paths for each feature.
You should be able to do this quite easily by using the features install dir.

BriBri

BriBri
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 22:01

any advice on the most appropriate project "type" to accomplish this?

-installScript, BasicMSI, or InstallScript & MSI?

I was thinking installScript because based on the documentation, it is the most flexible, but implementing custom Dialog features in DevStudio doesn not seem to be very straightforward, at least from what I've read in the documentation.

thanks in advance...

-Bribri

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 23:42

Use a basic msi - see the following post smile.gif
http://forum.install...?showtopic=8734

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 14:05

In Basic MSI this would be straight forward. Just assign different destination properties to the components and their associated features. Then users can change the paths in the feature tree dialog.

BriBri

BriBri
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 20:38

Thanks again for everyone's input.

It is much appreciated.

-Bri