This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem creating MSI from VB6 with VSI

1 reply to this topic

robher

robher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:49

Hello everyone,

We have a Visual Basic 6.0 project that we'd like to package with VSI to create an MSI which can be deployed to several W2K Pro workstations through a Group Policy Object. We are using Visual Studio 6.0 with Service Pack 5, Visual Studio Installer 1.1 with the MSM files for SP5.

The creation of the MSI works fine. The installation also runs smoothly on a W2K Pro, with all the critical updates applied. The MDAC version on these workstations is 2.5.

Once the application is started, we get a "run-time error '39'" related to "MSFLXGRD.OCX" (used for the flex grid control). The OCX is installed and registered. After some testing we think that in spite of the error message, the problem could be related to ADO.

If the application is deployed using the Visual Studio Package & Deployment wizard we have no such problems. Also, if we install the MSI created with VSI on a computer with Visual Studio installed then the application works.

Unfortunately we don't know what else to try in order to figure out how to solve the problem. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. If this isn't the right forum, please let me know where the right one is.

Thanks in advance,

Roberto

robher

robher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 14:21

OK, I have some interesting new information. After some extensive testing we figured out that a large number of the registry keys that are installed by the MSI have restrictive permissions, so users without admin rights cannot see them.

For example:
HKCR\CLSID\{6262D3A0-531B-11CF-91F6-C2863C385E30} (Microsoft Flex Grid Control)

If I open regedit and navigate to that key I can see it and all the values, however if I navigate to the same key as a regular user, it's not even there.

I get the same behavior for the Microsoft Hierarchial Flex Grid and other ActiveX controls.

Now that I know the problem all I need to learn is how to fix it wink.gif

I've tried editing the MSI with Veritas WinINSTALL LE (shipped w/ W2K). The MSI is configured to be set up for the current user. After changing it to be set up for all users the MSI breaks (when installing it I get a dialog asking me for the location of the files that are packed in the MSI!!!) Is there a way to configure Visual Studio Installer to install for all users?

Another thing I've noticed is that the ActiveX controls in question (FlexGrid, etc.) show up as "Normal" and not "Vital" when I open the MSI with WinINSTALL.

Again, any pointers are appreciated.

Roberto