This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add Files To .MSI With Orca?

4 replies to this topic

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 16:23

All,

I am working on an install project which prodices a single .msi file. I have been asked to update some end-user documentation which explains how to customize this .msi file. This document is pretty old, late-90's.

2 sections in the doc deal with adding custom icon files and a custom configuration to the .msi file using Orca.

I have pretty much tried everything that I know to do this, but, my attempts produce nothing but 1334 errors during install. Basically, I followed what I like to call the "4 step process" in Orca, where I do:

1. Add the desired files to the Binary table.
2. Create new components for the files (both with and without keyfiles)
3. Add the files to the File table and assoctiate with components made in step 2.
4. Add new components to the FeatureComponent table.

I have tried running the MSI in a folder with the added files present and tried creating a .cab file for them using MakeCab and adding it as an entry to the Media table, all to no avail. I am starting to think that although this was possible at one time, it no longer is.

I have come to the conclusion that this is either a.) Not possible with Orca, or b.) I am missing something critical.

It doesn't matter if it works or not, I just need to know what to tell people. I was hoping that someone here might be able to confirm that this can or cannot work.

If it helps, I am using InstallShield 11.5 Premier and the latest Orca from the Installer SDK.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:40

File that you want to install should not be in the Binary table. This table is for files that are needed for the setup itself, like custom actions or dialog bitmaps.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 20:45

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured out how to add files to an MSI file using Orca. It seems extremely complicated, but, it appears to work well.

You may know a better way though, so, I am posting the method that I used here in an encapsulated format. My apologies in advance for the long post. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

1. Create a CAB file using IExpress or similar tool (I guess some zip tools will do this also)
2. Edit the MSI file with Orca.
3. For a new file, create a component for the file in the Component table. (NOTE: not sure if the component needs keyfile, I set it just to be safe)
4. Add file entry(s) into the File table which are associated with the component(s) created in step 3.
5. Associate the component(s) created in step 3 with a Feature in the FeatureComponent table.
6. Merge the CAB file into the MSI database. (this is tricky, I merge the file using WiStream.vbs from the Windows Installer SDK, it has worked very well for me so far.)
7. Edit the Media table of the MSI in Orca to properly add the CAB file. (NOTE: pay close attention to LastSequence column!)

Basically, that is the procedure I used and it worked great. My fear is that there is a better way to do this with Orca and maybe someone else knows and I am just doing this the hard way. I don't want to send my customers on a wild goose chase and they don't want to have to buy InstallShield.

Hopefully, I am right. :-)

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 14:12

Your method looks good, and as far as I know there's no easier way. You don't have to stream the CABs into the .msi file thoigh, you can have external CABs, or even uncompressed files.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 14:39

Hi Stephan,

Thanks again for your help. We want to be able to deploy one single file, which is why I included the part about streaming the CAB file.

Again, thanks so much for your input.

Mike
Michael J. Pento