This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

install to multiple locations

4 replies to this topic

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 16:32

I inherited an ancient (i.e program..endprogram style) IS5.5 setup that I have been charged with bringing up to IS12 within a fairly short period of time ( otherwise known as yesterday!). I got through the conversion part ok without having to change any structures and the install runs, but is now exhibiting some unusual behavior that I am told is not supposed to happen.

The way this install is written, the 1st time through installs and creates the directories needed (let's call it DIR1). On the 2nd install, the user is prompted to either upgrade the existing installation or add a new folder to support multiple interfaces (let's call this DIR2). The problem is that the DIR2 folder structure is getting created, but none of the files are getting written to it. Instead, they are getting written back to DIR1.

Before the files are installed, a string list is created by reading the installation paths stored in the registry and adding to it any new directory that was specified during the UI. It then a) ListGetFirstString, gets the directory (1st pass=DIR1), b)sets TARGETDIR to DIR1, c) calls FeatureMoveData("",nvVar,0) to reset structures, d) calls FeatureMoveData(MEDIA,nvVar,0) to move the data, and then e) does some post install config of the files. The loop then does ListGetNextString to get the next directory (DIR2), and repeats the processfrom cool.gif. However, FeatureMoveData isn't moving anything in the 2nd pass.

I've debugged this program at least far enough to verify that before the FeatureMoveData calls, TARGETDIR is the correct value.

Can anyone please give me some insight? I don't have the timeframe I would like to totally rewrite this and the pressure's on! Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Dennis

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 13:31

I think that multi-instance support requires the event based script model, so this may just not work with the program...endprogram style.

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 00:34

What you're saying makes sense in the fact that this is an older-style project that I've been given to work with..It may well be that this was their way of implementing a multiple-instance install before the days where there was direct support for it.

Is there an alternate method I can use to get the files to all the directories I need. I have a really short time frame to get this working before I have to get this to QA for testing.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:33

You could try the solutions discussed under "Avoid Maintenance Mode in IS6" at
http://www.installsi....htm#avoidmaint

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 16:31

I'm not sure if these are applicable, but I'll have a look and see what I can do. Thanks.