This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Installation and Uninstallation

1 reply to this topic

vijaybr

vijaybr
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:37

unsure.gif [B][COLOR=green]

Hi EveryBody.. laugh.gif

I am using InstallShield 7 service pack 4 developer edition.

we have a application of version 2.0(AddBook) in Basic MSI i have developed using IS 7 service pack 4 developer edition. During the installations it [SIZE=7]writes some registry values
and during the unistallataion it deletes the registry values

Now a new version 3 has come. The requirement is

[FONT=Arial]

THE INSTALLER MUST BE ABLE TO UNINSTALL THE OLDER VERSION AND INSTALL THE NEWER VERSION THAT IS version 3.0.

I have thought of doing it through patches so that it will unistall the older main Application's exe of version 2.0 and silently Install the New Application's exe of version 3.0 (that is through patch(updates)).

Please tell me is there any other way to silently unistall the exisiting application and install the newer version of the application without asking for users interface..using Basic MSI

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:25

Hi, what you need to do is to create either a minor or a major upgrade for your Basic MSI. As I recall this is quite a dance in InstallShield 7 since there is no GUI for it. I recommend using a major upgrade. It essentially involves changing the product code (and package code too of course) and the version number, and then authoring the Upgrade table with appropriate entries. There is no way for me to specify all this info here, but the help in the MSI SDK is quite good: http://msdn.microsof...ade_example.asp

Regards
-Stein Åsmul