This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

uninstall problems after componentreinstall

2 replies to this topic

haake

haake
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 21:38

I am trying to get create a full upgrade installer using IS Pro 6.31 following the example http://support.insta...ticleid=Q104431 I copied the working installer for the previous version of our software and changed the product version number. I modified the OnMaintBefore event handler to call ComponentReinstall() if the previous version of the software is already installed. The upgrade seems to work fine though I haven't run the full test suite yet.

The problem occurs when the software is uninstalled after a successful upgrade. I get a component transfer error with the catastrophic failure error. The uninstall aborts but when I uninstall again, it completes. It leaves one or two files behind in the TARGETDIR. The files it leaves are not always the same. It fails in this manner every time and on at least XP, 2000 and 98se.

The application has a lot of files in it, about 20000 images. The file names are exactly the same for both versions of the application, no new files and no deleted files. The component names are the same also.

Anyone know anything about this problem?

runningquicklynowher

runningquicklynowher
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 16:31

Try manually deleting the files on uninstall instead of allowing IS to do it for you.  It may be the logging that IS does that is hosing up your subsequent uninstall after you upgrade.  If you handle the removal of the application files yourself you should be able to circumvent the error.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:00

Yeah, deleting the files yourself would certainly work, but if you're gonna resort to something that desperate, you might as well drop the concept of a "full upgrade" and do things differently.
user posted image