This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

REINSTALL mode doesn't use long file name

3 replies to this topic

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 15:34

Hi,
I am updating a previous installation using the command line msiexec /i "My package.msi" REINSTALL=ALL REINSATLLMODE=vemus.
After having lauched this command line, the files that have been updated are in 8.3 format.
How can I force Windows Installer to use long file names?
Thanks.
JSP

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 15:32

I do not know it this is your problem.  I had this problem in my earliest installations on Win9X systems only and with locked files.  These files are replaced on the next reboot.  The problem being that Win9X starts up in dos mode with no support for long file names.  The only workaround I found was to make sure my files were not locked before I tried to overwrite them.

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 17:19

Hi,
I use REINSTALLMODE=vomus,REINSTALL=Feat1,Feat2,ADDLOCAL=NewFeat1,NewFeat2.
It works fine for all files (long or short). I have installed on Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 11:45

There are no new features in my package.
My upgrade only consists in a file update.
I use 'vemus' instead of 'vomus' to update files regardless of the version.
In any case, the long file name problem doesn't appear anymore if all processes are stopped before to launch the reinstall.
JSP