This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi computer installation.

5 replies to this topic

ezrali

ezrali
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:49

Hello,
I'm using InstallShield 11 Premier addition.

We need to install our product on many computers that are connected in a local network. It is obvious that we can't expect that the IT administrator will insert a CD on every computer and install the product on every computer one by one. Even if he will use silent mode it won't be convenient.
Is there any way to install product through a local network, so the IT administrator will be able to insert a CD on just a single computer and install the product on multiple computer simultaneously?
If yes, does it require the Remote Update product, or is InstallShield 11 Premier is enough?
Or maybe there is another solution for this situation?

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:41

First unpack files using "administrative installation" to a network location.
msiexec /a ....

Then each user can install from the network

You may also use the "limited user interface" options like /qn /qb ...
and preset Properties to limit the job of the IT amdinistrator
(modify the setup.ini to pass these parameters to MSI)

ezrali

ezrali
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:56

Thanks,

So there is a way to install "from" the network, but I can't install "to" the network. I must start the installation from every computer.

It seems that I don't have to use Favor Source with your framework, am I right?

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:36

Yes Administrative Installation is only a way to put the installer on a network so you have to start installation from every computer.

The user can choose to run-from-source when he installs and the installer uses most of the product's file directly from the network. So don't mix up component's remote installation and administrative installation. Running from source means that files stay on the source. The source is the newtwork in the case of an Administrative Installation.

ezrali

ezrali
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:46

Thanks!!

lherz

lherz
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 20:02

If you are in a Windows Active Directory Domain controlled network, and are using an MSI based install, you can also set up the installation to be run at next startup through AD's Group Policy. The IT Admin need only configure the Group Policy to install the software. This can be done for all computers on the domain, or to selected machines by adding the machines to an OU and setting the Policy to install only to that OU.