This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Newbie to MSI installs

1 reply to this topic

ColoradoCJG

ColoradoCJG
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 15:36

I've been working with InstallShield install scripts for a couple of years now but recently started working with MSI installs.

My question is this: I added a custom dialog to my install and put a couple of edit box controls on the dialog. I have it set up so that when my user chooses a 'custom' install, it will bring up this dialog and they have to enter in some further info into these edit boxes.

How do I go about reading/validating what's in these boxes? Say that they don't enter in something valid, how do I go about retrieving this data, analyzing if it's the correct data or not, and then letting the user know? Even if I'm not checking to see if it's valid or not, where does this info get stored?

So far I've found info on subscribing and publishing, is it something related to that?

I didn't realize installscripts and MSI installs were so different smile.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 16:11

MSI is like nothing else for good and bad. It is easy to do things wrong, but quite robust if you do things right. It is a good idea to ask people who have done it before to check if there is a better way.

Basic MSI uses properties to store values like this. You can then use custom actions to perform more complex validation of the data (such as license code validation etc - keep in mind though that since MSI is an open format any license checker dll you include with your setup can easily be hacked - much better to embed license key entry logic in your application).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul