This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstalling standard installer using basic msi

4 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:09

smile.gif Hi All
I want to Uninstall a previously installed standard installer(idriver) silently using Basic MSI IS 7. the previously installed applications product code is known. For that i have created a batch file and in that i am giving path of Idriver.exe(full path)and /m{<product code>} /s /f1"responsefile.iss"(in proper name) i have created a response file for the previous product(i.e standard product) by setup/r

and in custom actions i have created new exe of type 34 (Path ref a dirtry) and in that working dir given as support dir(i have batch file in setupfiles) and command line and file name is [SUPPORTDIR]batchfile.bat.. (the setup.iss file i have icluded in batch file). and return processing is syn(ignore exit code)

after this if i give execute sequence after cost finalize the idriver exe wil get open and do something (but not uninstall the product).

but if i mention ui sequence after cost finalize the idriver exe wil run and also uninstall the product.. but i dont want to run though ui sequence since it wont be possible in advertise sequence (for sms). i want to uninstall the older standard product by running execute sequence and running a batch file.

Please some body tel is there any other way so that a standard product can be uninstalled silently uning basic msi installer using exe sequence(not by ui sequence for sms it wont be possible) or by any other way so that advertising can also be possible in that installer...

thanxs in advance....

Edited by sarfu, 12 October 2006 - 12:12.

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:30

Pls some body tel how to uninstall a previously installed standardscript project before installing a basic msi project ..
wheather its possible ..

i am able to do it with CA In UI sequence and not able to do it if i include it in exe sequence...

pls this is urjent...

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:58

It is illegal for two InstallExecuteSequences to run simultaneously on Windows. This is why you should run this uninstall from a custom setup.exe bootstrapper or a batch file before triggering the new install.

In theory it could also be possible to uninstall via the Upgrade table, though I have never tried that with Installscript MSI.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:59

Note that several UI sequences may run at any time, but only one InstallExecute sequence can run at once. This is probably due to the fact that MSI runs the actions betweeen InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize as a transaction - meaning that the actions must be possible to roll back. This means that the system has to be "locked" for other changes and hence the limitation of only one InstallExecuteSequence.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:24

thanx stein..
it wil help me a lot...
i wil try with booststrapper..

regards..
bye