This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can InstallScript Project supports me ?

3 replies to this topic

Sa'di Tahboub

Sa'di Tahboub
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 13:52

I'm in the hope that somebody will help me.
I'm new to InstallShield Environment, i'm working under InstallShield X
using InstallScript. now i have the following if you please.
1. Does InstallScript project allow me to produce update version(include any
new files, updated files) of my application that my end user will be
notified when available.

2. my other application publish several web services, can i populate a
ComboBox control with the available web site(s) in the target machine using
INSTALLSCRIPT Project or i should use MSI project ?

best regards,
Sadi Tahboub

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 18:05

1. Yes, you can build a differential update. There is an "update" panel in release wizard (I think it's the 13th step of the wizard) where you can specify the update type you want to build.

2. I don't think there's a built in function to list all web sites (neither in InstallScript nor in MSI). You would have to write code to get a list of web sites yourself. You can then use built in dialogs to display the list.

Sa'di Tahboub

Sa'di Tahboub
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:16

Hello Stefan

thanks for your help, i have some more about that if you please.
Point #1: i followed your reply and i found that this can add any new files which are not in the original install and also add any updated files but my questions here is that can this way remove any files i want from the original install ?

and what is the different between this and the Patches in the MSI projects ? are they similar ?

Point#2: so i dont need to use MSI project to populate the combo box with the existance web sites in the target machine, Do I ? if i can retrieve the web sites name by code using the C#, can i use this code during InstallScript Project type??

Huge regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:54

#1 I don't think this will automatically remove any files, you would have to write script code to delete the file.
The purpose is similar to MSI patches, but the underlying technology is completely different. In addition, MSI can even build byte level patches, i.e. include only modified portions of a file, while InstallScript will always include the updated file as a whole.

#2 You can call a Win32 DLL function to get a list of web sites abd use that list in your script, e.g. display it on a dialog. I'm not sure you can call a function in a C# DLL which is basically an assembly. Do assembly DLLs export function that can be called from outside?