This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to uninstall a patch?

1 reply to this topic

Oxylare

Oxylare
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 06:56

Hai
    I had created a patch for an older version and now i have to create the patch such that it can be roll backed to the older version
How can i do it
Bacause there is no way to uninstall a patch in WI
I am using ID7.0

JasonAtkins2001

JasonAtkins2001
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 17:50

I found this problem too. I guess Microsoft's philosy on this is that if there is a bug in a patch, then create a new patch to fix it removing the need to rollback (or they couldn't be bothered to iimplement :-))

The best method I could find to get around it was to create a new custom action that creates a backup folder and copies all the files that are about to be upgraded into the folder.

This way, the user can at least copy the files back manually if a big problem occurs. Personally, I've created a wrapper around the .msp that creates an uninstall tool that performs the manual recopy from the backup folder.

However, please be aware that as the upgrade routine doesn't register the file changes with Windows Installer, if you execute a Reinstall or Repair, the upgraded modules will replace the manually copied versions.

Hope this helps...