This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgradation to a different path fails

4 replies to this topic

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:28

I am completely new to Install shield. I am using Install shield 2009. My Msi file will always be executed in silent mode. I am passing the values of installation path for components through command line. For a fresh installation there is no problem and it installs to the location given in the command line.
But for an upgradation, it is always taking the previous installation path. The properties are getting changed during the CostFinalize action.

So i tried to use a setDirectory custom action to set the path after CostFinalize. It is failing most of the time and at times its working. I cannot trust this work around. Is there any standard way of handling this problem? Kindly help me out.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:06

So you want to install the upgrade to a different destination folder? This should work as a Major Upgrade, but it doesn't make sense for Small or Minor Updates.

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:16

Yes i want to install the upgrade to different destination folder.
Is major upgrade the only solution for this? If so what are the modifications that I need to do to my install shield project?
Already i am increementing the product version for each and every build that we take.

One thing i am not clear is from where do Install shield retrieves the previous installation path details?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:49

Small/minor updates are intended for in-place updates where you overwrite the older files. If you want to install in a new location (and automatically uninstall the old version) I'd recommend a Major Upgrade. This means you need to change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade entry in the Upgrades view.

avsmpn

avsmpn
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 13:28

Yes by going for a major upgrade things are working fine. Thank you for your replies.