This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Feature with condition is not removed during major upgrade

Best Answer Stefan Krueger , 18 June 2015 - 17:00

Does the new version work correctly in both reduced and basic UI mode if the old version isn't present (i.e. fresh system)? I'm wondering if the KMD from the old version isn't removed, or if the KMD from the new version is getting installed.

Is MigrateFeatureStates set to yes in your Major Upgarde settings?

Check the instalaltion log to find out why the feature gets selected. Probably something in the UI sequence (which is skipped in basic UI mode)

Go to the full post

4 replies to this topic

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 18:43

Hello all.

I have an installation that includes an optional Kernel Mode Driver.  I have an install condition on the feature that will set the InstallLevel to 1 should the condition evaluate to true (default value is 101 or "do not install").  I modify this condition by changing the values of properties on the command line.

I can see this working on first installs however during a major upgrade, if I optionally choose to not install this KMD, the property is passed to the new installation but the KMD is still installed. 

The condition is as follows:

MYPROPERTY <> 0 OR REMOVE="ALL"

I script this installation with a front end UI that handles all the user selections and generation of the command line.  I launch my installer with a Reduced UI.  In testing, I found that if I launch with a Basic UI setting (qb) that the behavior changes and the KMD will correctly get removed.  My question is, why should the behavior change with only altering the UI level?  I have a clear test case that shows this changes behavior but I would rather understand what is going on before I fix the bug and get it into the next release.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 17:00   Best Answer

Does the new version work correctly in both reduced and basic UI mode if the old version isn't present (i.e. fresh system)? I'm wondering if the KMD from the old version isn't removed, or if the KMD from the new version is getting installed.

Is MigrateFeatureStates set to yes in your Major Upgarde settings?

Check the instalaltion log to find out why the feature gets selected. Probably something in the UI sequence (which is skipped in basic UI mode)

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:12

Ah Stefan your experience is definitely apparent!  Migrate Feature states is enabled.  I will try to disable this and try both UI modes. 

Just so I am able to compare the 2 UI modes, does reduced UI run every action in the UI sequence except for the actions that require user interaction?

Conversely, does basic UI skip everything and go strait to the execute sequence?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 20:42

Yes, essentailly Reduced UI runs the UI sequence except for the modal dialogs. Basic UI omits the UI sequence completely and goes directly to the InstallExecute sequence.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 21:59

Though my testing is not complete, early test have shown this was the problem.  I have no reason to expect the rest of the testing to go bad.  Thanks for your help.