This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need help! Obscure runtime error message

1 reply to this topic

shanksworthy

shanksworthy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:55

For some reason, I'm suddenly getting a series of severe error messages during execution of my install. The messages say something like, "InstallShield cannot launch IsWindow() from .dll" (I'll check the exact message when I get into work tomorrow).

It seems to happen intermittently, whenever I call a _WinSub* function from winsub.h.  This set of functions used to work perfectly in IS 5.5, and although they're still prototyped in IS 6.3, and still appear to function correctly, about 50% of the time they cause that nasty message to pop up.

I'm starting to panic a bit here -- the deadline is rapidly approaching, and the problem is extremely obscure (I haven't seen another reference to it anywhere)!  If anybody has any ideas, your help would be much appreciated.

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 19:23

For each winsub function you use, double check against the Win32 API to make sure the correct DLL is being accessed and prototyped for the function.  For example, make sure USER, KERNEL, etc. are being properly associated with the function in winsub.  Our current setup has many custom dialogs in it using InstallScript and dialog templates accessed from a custom resource dll and I have not had any trouble with typical windows function calls.  It would seem to me you might be calling a function that is in a transitory dll, so sometimes it is loaded and the function succeeds and other times perhaps it is not loaded and the IS execution code fails to find the function in any of its loaded dlls, so you then see the error message.