This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

1603: Fatal Installation Error

6 replies to this topic

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 13:15

Hello Everybody,

I am facing one problem with installation on windows 2003 server SP1. I am using Installshield 11 Professional. When I double click on the setup exe and extraction of msi goes on, before starting the installation wizard, I am getting following error msg…

“1603: Error installing windows installer engine. A file which needs to be replaced may be held in use. Close all applications and try again.”

Can anybody explain me, why this is happening? And any solution for this

Thanks,

Ajay

Attached Images

• IS_Error.JPG

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 15:50

Which version of the MSI engine are you trying to install?

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:29

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for you reply,

But I really don’t have any idea, why it is necessary to install MSI engine.....and if I choose do not install windows installer, then what it will result into.

Bye the way I have selected best fit for the system option in the release wizard.

I really want to know the significance of all this....

Also when I compiled same project into IS 12 Professional, then I haven’t got any error dialog during installation, as above.

Thanks, I am really learning a lot about IS from this forum......

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 18:34

If you don't install the engine, your setup won't work on Windows versions that don't include the engine. Today this is quite rare. For information about which Windows version includes which version of the MSI runtime see http://www.msifaq.com/a/1001.htm

There might be a problem in IS 11 that it's trying to update the MSI runtime of W2K3 SP1.

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:23

Thanks Stefan,

Its really helpful.

Ajay

pajaykumar

pajaykumar
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:35

Can I suppress this error message during installation?

Thanks,

Ajay

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 17:09

If it is a problem in IS 11 (which I'm not sure it is) then you could either update to IS 2008, or create a custom prerequisite to install the msi engine.