This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 432 and Windows XP

3 replies to this topic

Ben Williams

Ben Williams
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 19:44

I wrote a silly little simple install with IS 5.1. It creates shortcuts and possibly copies files to user's harddrive. Well, when I run it as a normal user on WinXP, I get error 432.
"Setup has detected that unInstallShield is in use. Please close unInstallShield and restart setup."
But this install works on WinNT, Win2000 (actually, I just noticed I don't get an uninstall here) and Win98. It works fine on WinXP as administrator. Even if I create a totally NULL install (program endprogram) and run it on XP as a non-privileged user, I get error 432. Question: Is this a problem with XP, that it insists you be an administrator to install anything, or will buying a later version of InstallShield be able to solve this?  I get the impression that InstallShield 5.1 needs R/W access to the registry just to run.  Is that true?

anthonyh

anthonyh
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 16:56

I'm surprised that it works under Win2000 for you as well.  Both Win2000 and WinXP require you to have admin rights to run the install.  MS has tightened up the security on the registry, start menu, and program files folder.

Anthony
Product Availability Developer
Avantis
Invensys Process Systems

Using InstallShield Developer 7.04 - Basic Project

messkat

messkat
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 17:19

I've got the same problem.  It would be nice to get the same error message - that you need to be an admin user to run the install - on XP as you get on Win2K.  The 432 error doesn't tell the user what the real problem is.  I'm a newbie - is there a way to trap this kind of error so that we can give them the right error message?  My guess is that Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR) isn't returning the correct value on XP, although I haven't verified this.

Ben Williams

Ben Williams
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 04:48

I noticed that someone on the old newsgroup stated that he thought the problem was that the install files get temporarily copied to the C:\windows\temp directory, and that directory is restricted in Windows XP.  Is that the problem?  I do notice that I can't get into that folder with my normal user logon. If that's the problem I could try to copy a file there in my install and if it fails then take appropriate action.  What would be even better would be if this default temp file is defined in one of the many ini-type files that Install Shield uses, and I could just change it there...