This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading an Installation

1 reply to this topic

MP001

MP001
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:03

I have made an installation, which installs MSDE, installs my application and finally configures the SQL server.

It works fine, even though the install is big (over 200MB)

Now I need to make an UPGRADE installation, so that I can distribute the files which have changed and also be able to run some SQL scripts against my SQL server.

WHAT IS THE STARTING POINT???

I have searched a lot on the NET, looked at the installshield documentation but am not able to proceed.

Do I start with a new installshield project?
I tried this and gave the same product ID as the orignal installation and added only the files which have changed. It worked fine and updated the files. But now when I uninstall the application it only removes the files which were part of the upgrade.

PLEASE HELP ME. I AM TOTALLY STUCK.

Thanks

MP

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:29

Start with your existing project. Make the modifications there, so essentially build a setup for the full new version.

Then either go to Patch Design View and identify the previous version there - this will create a delta between the old and the new version.

Or install the new version over the old version using the full setup (use setup.exe to launch, not double clicking the .msi file).

Extra work may be needed for the SQL scripts if you need to run other script in the upgrade case than you would run for a fresh install.