This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setting Registry Permissions with IS 2010

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:45

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if or how I set permissions on an HKLM key for Read rights for Everyone. Is that possible?

Also, is it possible to set Write permissions on an HKLM key and have our app tweak that in, lets say, the Windows 7 world. Or would the app have to be running as Admin to tweak those keys.

What I'm exploring is storring some information in an HKLM key, All users that use the app could either read and write to that or we would change our app to copy the HKLM values to HKCU.

Any tips, hlep, info appreciated!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:08

In general, it is not recommedned to tweak the write permissions. It would be better to copy the entry to HKCU where the user has write permissions (but in this case the key is no longer shared across users).

Not sure why you need to set read permissions for everyone - isn't that the default anyway? But in InstallShield you can right click a registry key, select "Permissions", press the "Ins" key on your keyboard (I have no idea why they didn't put a button for that on the dialog). Now you can specify a user and permissions for this user.

Of course, a setup or application that wants to modify permissions needs permission to do so. Typically this means it needs to run with administrator rights.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:30

Yes, we require admin rights for install as its Per Machine.

That is what I'm trying to get Dev to move towards -> deriving user settings from per machine areas by the app at startup instead of mixing in the install. I'm trying to move away from repairs occurring when non-installing users launch our app. I know there may be instances when the app is truly broken and will need repair, but that would probably be rare. Our repairs write user specific stuff.