This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing Services

5 replies to this topic

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 19:01

Has anyone succesfully installed a service with Developer 7.02?  My service also has a COM interface.

It works fine if I run the exe with /service switch, but fails to start with the following error if I install via Installshield.

Error 1053.  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I have tried setting it up manually and using the component Wizard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 11:49

I went with using a custom action to run the exe.  I couldn't figure out exactly what the Service* tables actually do but I know what the executable does.

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 11:53

Thanks Victor,

I think that to run the EXE with the /service switch from a CA is the best way.  However, do you know how to change the properties from the comand line, and make the Startup Type automatic?

Any help would be great,

Martin

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 12:13

Global Properties (those in block capitals) can be changed from the command line at install time simply.  If your property is called MYGLOBALPROPERTY then your commandline is:

msiexec /i MyInstaller.msi MYGLOBALPROPERTY=MyValue

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the Startup Type automatic".  Can you elaborate?

moverton

moverton
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 12:21

Paul,

Sorry for calling you Victor!

I mean the parameters you pass to the service executable when you register it.

MyPath\MyService.exe /service

can be run from a CA to register a service with default properties.  One of these defaults is the Startup Type - it is set to manual.  How can I make this automatic using a CA?  Can it be done with a parameter after the /service switch?

Thanks,
Martin

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 12:30

Don't worry about the name, Melvin ;-).

I see what you mean now and I can't really answer the question.  You need to speak to the developer of the service, they will have defined the installation command line.

For example, ours are all /install rather than /service.