This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Executing a COM DLL Function

1 reply to this topic

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 15:42

As part of an InstallScript function, I need to call a function in a COM Object, passing several parameters. I was hoping to be able to do something along the lines of:  
Set objFoo = CreateObject(Parent.Class);
nvResult = objFoo.Function(Parm1, Parm2...);
If this is not possible, what is the alternative? Also, I assume I'll need to stream down the ActiveX DLL and register it BEFORE calling the function. After the function completes, I want to unregister the DLL and delete it. What are the basic steps for this? I'm having trouble locating this info in the docs, so I'll be happy with that as a response...

Victorz

Victorz
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2001 - 09:30

I'm not using install script , however in order to run a COM - first dim it as object or a known interface and then create it.

if you cannot use the registration of install shield - try first copying to DLL to a folder - and in the sequence after it run a custom VB Script - that uses Windows Scripting to register the DLL.
The Windows Scripting is accessed by :

dim goWshShell

Set goWshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

str = regsvr32 scrobj.dll /n /i:URL/component_name.ext

gowshShell.Run str , 0 , True

- change the str as you need.

for unregistering use the "/u" key

and for deleting the file use -
Set goFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Call goFS.DeleteFile(myFile, True)

Hope this helps.