This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changed Key File not recognized when creating upgr

4 replies to this topic

rvandam

rvandam
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 14:56

I have an older install with several components. One of the components has a list of dynamically linked files, and a manually linked Key file.
I have now created a newer install build with updated dynamically linkedfiles, and an updated Key file in the component mentioned above.

When I try to validate the upgrade through the 'upgrade validation wizard', it tells me that although several files have changed in this component (which is correct), the key file has not (this is NOT correct), and therefore none of the files in this component will be updated... (val0004). here's the complete text:
<<<
ISDEV : error Val0004: The file '_3B3C17222F0B59147C00878EC1FD3986' in component 'main_executable' is different from the file in the previous package, but the key file for this component did not change. As a result, the changed file will not get installed in an upgrade scenario. Place this file in its own new component.
<<<

The suggested fix for this problem is to place every file in its own component - defeating the prupose of dynamically linking IMO.

I have searched the knowledgebase, but have not come up with a valid fix for this, other than the suggestion to place each file in its own component - an unacceptable 'workaround' as far as I am concerned. I also found several users asking this question on the various Installshield forums, without a satisfactory answer supplied anywhere.

Is this behavior a bug, or am I missing something?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 21:23

Did you replace the key file with a newer version of a same named file, or a completely other file? In the latter case you cannot perform a Minor Update, you need to change the ProductCode and create a Major Upgrade.

rvandam

rvandam
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 22:34

The key file was updated, yes. With a newer version, named exactly the same.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:12

Check the version information in the File table, maybe InstallShield is not picking up the number correctly from the file, or you have set the file to "overwrite system setting" and specified a version number manually.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:13

And did you test the update, does it work properly? Which version of InstallShield are you using? there was a known bug that Val004 only compared the first 3 fields of the version number and ignored the 4th field.