This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

calling Update.exe from the command line

1 reply to this topic

CSM_BF

CSM_BF
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 18:07

Hi there,

I have a patch that works to update installed software. It works ok for the most part, but there's one hitch.

If I call update.exe from the command line using "Update", then everything works fine and all components are updated.

But if I want to set a public property and kickoff the update using command line "Update /vMYPROP=1", then things don't work so well. The problem is that my feature and component states all show up with Request = NULL and Action = NULL, so nothing is installed.

Does anyone know what's going on here? By including the command line switch, am I overriding some default that Update uses under the hood?

Thanks.

CSM_BF

CSM_BF
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 23:19

Figured it out.

By running the patch Update.exe via command line with no switches or via a double-click in explorer, the msi package is passed properties REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=omus.

If you try and pass a property into the msi package by calling update like "Update /vMYPROPERTY=1", then the prop-value pairs REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=omus do not get passed into the msi project.

My fix was to instead use command line

Update /v"MYPROPERTY=1 REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus"

For the record, I'm still surprised that IS doesn't have any documentation explaining this.