This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Exe being cached by Installer

2 replies to this topic

dshimel

dshimel
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 17:38

I am running Wise for Wondows. This allows the creation of WiseScript EXE's that extend the functionality of MSI. Here is my problem. When I run the MSI, the exe's are being cached on the computer where it is run. When I need to make a code change, I rebuild the exe, then rebuild the msi. The msi's binary table gets updated with the new code. I can see the size of the MSI change to reflect the size of the new exe.

When I run the new msi, the new exe is not run. The operating system must have the old exe cached somewhere, since it still runs the old exe.

As proof, I can run my msi on 3 different computers and get 3 different results. Whatever computer it runs on, the exe from the FIRST time the mis was run, is the code that gets executed.

I've tried logoff and logon. I've tried a reboot.

The one thing that does work is running the msi with reinstall and recache the msi, like this. msiexec /fv [msiname] This recaches the exe's, however it does not run the user interface, which is what I need. After running /fv, I can run again with /i. Then it runs the new code.

Is there anyway to recache with an /i option? Or, can I get the user interface to fire with /fv? What woudld /fv do on a computer where the msi has never been run before?

Thanks,
DShimel

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:54

Have you tried this?

Msiexec /i msipath.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 21:24

Also make sure you change the PackageCode GUID each time you rebuild your setup.