This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi Language Installation

6 replies to this topic

Kiril

Kiril
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:26

Hello All
I am working on localization of my project. In the beginning I planed to add some language's string tables to my .ism, but do not translate all my custom English string.
I do want to update my .msi file late when our translation team will provide me all languages support. I've started to research how could I update/change .msi , and found that in binary table of .msi exists binary data for every language. For example String1033.txt or String1049.txt and I could export and import these tables with Orca. Also I paid attention that same .mst file were created in DISK1 folder, and these binary files also contain some string.
When I run my setup in window\temp directory were created both String1033.txt and 23e69024.mst. After some tries I understood that all dialog strings were loaded from .mst file and all strings that I called from script custom action were loaded from String1033.txt. And this is not good for me, because I can't update or change .mst files.
Do somebody knows how to force installation to use strings only from String1033.txt that always generated by .msi?
Or how could I update .mst files without Install Shield Developer?
I do not want to rebuild my project every time when some string in string table is changed.
Best Regards,
Kiril
Kiril

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:57

There are various tools that can edit MST file, including InstallShield and Orca.

Kiril

Kiril
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 20:01

I use Orca version 1.10.1124.0 and it only can edit .msi or .msm files but not .mst
Kiril

Kiril

Kiril
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:38

I've opened .mst with InstallShield Developer , but string table doesn't exist there.
So how could I add new strings or languages
Kiril

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:00

Orca 2.0 can open MSTs.
String tbales only exist in the InstallShield project. In the built MST these strings are in the Control table, the Error table, the Feature table, and other tables that include localizable data.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:56

Hello Stefan,

my Orca 2.0.2600 can't open MSTs.

Regards!
Johannes

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:10

You can't laod a MST on its own but you can load a msi and then use the Transform menu (at least that works for me, using version 2.0.3672.0)