This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

end user doesn't have msiexec on comp

6 replies to this topic

jerm

jerm
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 19:09

this is my first time using msi... i sent my install.msi program to an end user.. he tried to install it and windows came up with the what program do you wish to use to open this dialouge screen.  how do i get msiexec to install on a system that doesn't have it already?

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 20:12

for the 95/98/ME platform download the InstMSIa.EXE

for the NT/2K/XP platform download the InstMSIw.EXE

i believe the current version is MSI v2.0.2600.2 ( InstMSI.EXE file version 12.0.2600.2 )

jerm

jerm
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 20:14

Ok, but is there any way for my install.msi to check if the users machine has windows install package installed already and if not install it?

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 13:43

yes.

in the summary information stream of the package you have the abiltity to specify what the minimum version required by this msi is.  

should the end system not meet this minimum you can have the msi install it for you ( but this WILL require a reboot and there have been issues on 2K/XP with SFP/WFP )....

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 13:46

on second thought, is this a 'chicken and egg' situation ?

ie. i need the msi service to install the msi with the msi service....

jerm

jerm
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 14:27

all I want is for my end users to be able to install my program.  I switched to msi from pdw because it was giving me all kind of problems.  Could you give me some more details on how to make msi install the necessary files so it can run.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 14:34

okay,  the solution ( i think ) to your situation is this...  

use a suitable tool to create a .EXE wrapper for your MSI.  this will allow for the pre-installation of the MSI Service and following the re-boot your MSI will install...

wise allows for this when you first create the project and you tell it you want to built a .MSI/.EXE...