This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Leftover cached MSI files

4 replies to this topic

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 12:42

Could somebody please explain why my cached .msi files remain in the hidden C:\Winnt\installer following an uninstall and a reboot.

Having read some newsgroup postings, some people are convinced they should be removed, others think on reboot, others have the same problem. My .Msi file is 16 meg and after numerous installs the C: drive fills up at an alarming rate.

Is this a bug with the Windows Installer service, are there programs to remove them.

Thanks,
Dave

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:06

I also had this problem on test machines when installing different versions of a setup (during setup development) with the same package code. -> Always change package code when building a new setup!!
h.teichert-ott

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 19:05

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have just been doing a bit of testing and it appears that Windows Installer removes the cached files upon the next reboot!!!

If this is the case, our product does not need rebooting during install or uninstall so, installing the product populates
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Userdata\S-x-x-x\Products\Number\LocalPackage with the randomly generated C:\winnt\installer\blah.msi.

Now if the product is uninstalled and reinstalled this LocalPackage value will be overwritten with the latest randomly named cached msi file, leave the previous one orphaned upon reboot.  With 10 installs/uninstalls without reboot the C:\winnt\installer folder is filling up.

Any idea,
Dave

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 10:47

I think this is a kind of theoretical question. In a test environment this might really happen, but in the real world nobody restarts and changes the same installation 10 times without a reboot. That's not windows ;-).
h.teichert-ott

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 09:32

Nope, but it is in a development environment and everyone elses for that matter.  

Ok, I see your point but In my opinion it is a weak mechanism.