This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

per machine (non advertised)installation restarts

3 replies to this topic

kunju

kunju
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 22:52

We have a msi package that does a per machine installation, does not support advertisement.
When i install it in admin mode and then log in as another user, and click on the application that i installed, it launches installer... ( the log shows that a feature is being reinstalled and in the log the command line shows REINSTALL=<feature name>)

Looking through the msi and checking to see if product or feature is advertised, checked the short cuts table everything is from source and per machine

any clues?

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:51

Seems like you install something userspecific (for example Registrykeys to "HKCU" or files to the userprofiles).
Don't do this. It doesn't work on Terminal servers for example. Further info in
http://forum.install...?showtopic=7900 for example. Or search for "Terminal Server" in this forum.
h.teichert-ott

kunju

kunju
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 21:20

I understand that is the reason why the install would start when i log in as another user...
Where is the information stored that triggers the installation on log in ...
thanks for the reply

Zardoz

Zardoz
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 21:14

Check the application event log for 1004 and 1001 MsiInstaller messages. One will tell you what started the repair and the other will tell you what resource was missing. From that information you can see in the MSI which components are causing the problem.