This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Doesn't know I am uninstalling a patch?

4 replies to this topic

jesse.wolfe

jesse.wolfe
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 21:33

Greetings, Stefan, and all!

I am somewhat new to MSI and I am in over my head. sad.gif

I applied a small update to an RTM installation. I have a custom action defined, and the MSIEXEC 4.5 "only run on patch uninstall" bit set and no exec conditions. I am on Server 2008, and the MSIEXEC is at 5.000.something.

When I uninstall, I get this in the log:

"Skipping action because it is not part of a patch uninstall."

Does this special CA type apply for quickpatch projects only? The patch I am rolling back is a small upgrade delivered via patch.

The only other link to this in Google is in the German MSI forum, and translations of that did not yield a useful answer for me.

Thanks In Advance,

Jesse

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:57

Is this custom action included in the RTM or in the .msp or in both?

jesse.wolfe

jesse.wolfe
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 18:58

Thanks, Stefan, for responding!

At first I tried to have it in the .msp, since the docs said it could be done that way.

Then I redid things so the CA was in the base with no exec conditions. I'd prefer if I could get this working from a patch, but I would settle for a"shim" patch that I could then add another patch to that would then be uninstallable.

So I guess technically the CA is in both the MSI and the msp at this point.

I'll attach a snapshot of the exec sequence and CA params to see if anything jumps out at you.

Regards,

Jesse

Attached Images

• ExecuteSequenceSnapshot.gif

Edited by jesse.wolfe, 27 September 2012 - 19:01.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 17:46

No, there's nothing jumping out, sorry. In my understanding, the custom action should be in the .msp.

jesse.wolfe

jesse.wolfe
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 15:23

I thought the .msp basically specifies transforms on the original msi to produce a modified msi that will install the updated version?

Aren't "changes to custom actions" in the msp more than "custom actions"?

It's interesting, have not found one forum conversation on any forum where a person had difficulty with this feature and got it working.

Either nobody is using it, or everyone is getting it right without much effort.

I have a ticket open with Microsoft to take a look at it; I'll post back the results.