This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch sequencing problem - Small update + a supseding hotfix

2 replies to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:51

Hello All, 

Here is my scenario: 

Base product has a version of  1.0 

-I have a small update(QFE) which has a sequence number of 1.0.6.0 
The small update contains a file named PatchCustomActions.dll with a version of 1.0.3.0 
Patch code: {2BA41362-74A7-427D-A219-93CBFF4C5844} 
The small update also contains a text file name Sample.txt which has the text : Hotfix 3 

-I have another minor upgrade msp package which has a sequence number of  1.0.4.0 
The minor upgrade  contains the same  file named PatchCustomActions.dll with a version of 1.0.0.0 
Patch code:{7E832DAB-2AD8-440F-A3B5-2558237E53D7} 
The minor upgrade also contains the same  text file name Sample.txt which has the text : Hotfix Rollup Pack 1 

Few other facts about the packages: 

-I am using msimsp to build the patches.
-Both the small update and minor upgrade target the base product v1.0. 
-The minor upgrade also has the supersedence bit set(i.e it supersedes all preceding hotfixes which belong to the same family and has a lower sequence number). 
-The minor upgrade transforms the product version to 1.1 
-The small update has a higher sequence number than the minor upgrade package as i dont want the small update to be superseded. 

Scenario: 
I install small update followed by the minor upgrade package. 
The windows installer log states that the logical order of application of the patches is the small update followed by the minor upgrade. 
However, at the end of the installation, i observe that the  version of PatchCustomActions.dll  is still 1.0.0.0(i.e the version contained in  the minor upgrade, even though the small update contains v1.0.3.0 of the dll). 

Could someone explain to me as to why this is happening? 

Attached is the log file for your reference. 

Any help woudl be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Kiran Hegde 

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:56

I'm not sure, but these lines in the log lokk suspicious:

MSI (s) (D4:E4) [01:21:57:813]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: Substitution in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Patch Sample Directory\Sample.txt' folder had been blocked by the 1 mask argument (the folder pair's iSwapAttrib member = 0).

MSI (s) (D4:E4) [01:21:57:817]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: Substitution in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Patch Sample Directory\PatchCustomActions.dll' folder had been blocked by the 1 mask argument (the folder pair's iSwapAttrib member = 0).

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 17:17

Hello Stefan,

Those log lines pretty much appear in any installation , hence i dont  think it an issue.

Regards,

Kiran Hegde